Inside Line – BMW 1 Series to 2011
1. A problem that mainly affected 2007 models. Power steering fluid can leak from the rack seals, which causes the rack gaiters to fill with fluid and ultimately the steering rack to fail.
2. On the 118D and 120D models, the Dual Mass Flywheel can sometimes fail, resulting in clutch judder.
3. The 2004 – 2006, 116i and 118i engines have timing chains that have been prone to jumping a tooth. To fix, technicians need to fit a new chain with an anti skip bracket.
4. A number of cars built between May and July 2008 had airbag problems. The faulty crimping of the component parts of the airbag wiring harness and seatbelt tensioner were found to be causing the problem.
5. The brake pressure sensor on the Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) has been known to fail.
6. On petrol cars from 2007 the pencil ignition coils and fuel injectors are also known to fail.