- Ford generally favour a product like Comma Xtech 5W30 for most of their applications however there are some exceptions, particularly in their more recent models.
- Some of the engines in this series of Fiesta have quite small sumps – the Fiesta 1.4 16V for example has a 3.8L with an additional 0.25L for the oil filter so checking the oil volume and topping up between services can be critical. Supplying the customer with a top up pack and reminding them that they should be checking the engine oil regular (check handbook for guidance) might also be prudent here particularly if you have noticed that the oil needed topping up when it was brought in. A quick check before you change might be a good way of reinforcing the importance of top up to the customer. Combined with longer service intervals and the increased use of sensitive components like turbochargers, a smaller sump size makes checking your oil more critical than ever before.
- Mostly conventional DOT 4 brake fluid however newer models do specify a low viscosity product like Comma DOT 4 ESP.
- Most people don’t think of brake fluid as a service item however, as with many manufacturer’s, Ford specify a change interval of 24months for this series of Fiesta. Brake fluid degrades over time by absorbing water from the atmosphere (even when it is apparently sealed inside the system) which lowers its boiling point. Boiling point is a critical factor in brake fluid performance because of the amount of heat generated during braking. If the boiling point of the fluid is too low then continuous or hard braking may cause the brake fluid to vapourise which in turn can result in a loss of hydraulic pressure within the system (i.e. your brakes don’t work when you most need them too). The message here is that brake fluid is a safety critical item so check and change when specified – don’t assume that it will just be OK.
Power Steering Fluid
- This particular range of vehicles is fitted with Ford’s Electric Power Assist Steering (EPAS) system so no power steering fluid is required. You will notice that Power Steering fluid is not mentioned on Comma’s application guide available at www.commaoil.com for any of this range’s vehicles.
- Xstream G30 is the recommended product for the Fiesta series, as it is for all Ford vehicles from 1998 on. You can verify this using Comma’s application guide available at www.commaoil.com.
- For this particular series of Fiesta, Ford uses a range of transmissions that includes manual and automatic transmissions and various specifications. As well as the different fluid requirements, change intervals and capacities will vary depending on the type of transmission so we would advise you to either consult the handbook or use Comma’s online application guide available at www.commaoil.com to ensure that you get the right product for the vehicle you are servicing.