1. Engine Oil
- For this particularly series of Mondeo, Ford list only one or two specifications for engine oil which should be covered by Comma Xtech 5W30. However, always use Comma’s application guide to make sure you get the right product for the vehicle you are servicing.
- Some of the engines in this series of Mondeo have quite small sumps – the 2.0 16V for example has a 4.6L. With normal service intervals of up to around 18,500 miles, oil top up between services can be critical. Supplying the customer with a top up pack and reminding them that they should be checking the engine oil regular might also be prudent here particularly if you have noticed that the oil needed topping up when it was brought in. A quick check before you change might be a good way of reinforcing the importance of top up to the customer. Combined with longer service intervals and the increased use of sensitive components like turbochargers, a smaller sump size makes checking your oil more critical than ever before.
2. Brake Fluid
- Ford use one or two specifications for brake fluid for this series of Mondeo and again you can rely on Comma’s online application guide to identify which product is suitable for the vehicle you are servicing.
- Most people don’t think of brake fluid as a service item however, as with many manufacturer’s, Ford specify a change interval of 24 months for this series of Mondeo. Brake fluid degrades over time by absorbing water from the atmosphere which lowers its boiling point. Boiling point is a critical factor in brake fluid performance because of the amount of heat generated during braking. If the boiling point of the fluid is too low then continuous or hard braking may cause the brake fluid to vaporise which in turn can result in a loss of hydraulic pressure within the system (i.e. your brakes don’t work when you most need them to). The message here is that brake fluid is a safety critical item so check and change when specified – don’t assume that it will just be OK.
3. Power Steering Fluid
- Ford use one or two specifications for power steering fluid for this series of Mondeo and again you can rely on Comma’s online application guide to identify which product is suitable for the vehicle you are servicing.
- Xstream G30 is the recommended product for the Mondeo series, as it is for all Ford vehicles from 1998 on.
- For this particular series of Mondeo, Ford uses a range of transmissions that includes mostly manuals but also some automatic alternatives. As well as different fluid requirements, change intervals and capacities will vary depending on the type of transmission so we would advise you to either consult the handbook or use Comma’s online application guide to ensure that you get the right product for the vehicle you are servicing.