Clark set up in the used car business in 1954. His first sale was a pre-war Morris 10/4 followed by others, allowing him to open a site in Glasgow’s Park Road where he eventually opened a Morris franchise.
By the 1960s Clark had acquired a number of other dealerships, allowing his firm to expand into car finance, vehicle rental and crash repair. Today the firm has 200 dealerships representing 24 VM brands.
A statement from the family read: “He was a beloved husband, father, grandfather and a great friend and employer to many.
“He was an inspiration and the family will continue to carry on his vision. He will be greatly missed”.
Clark had ten children from two marriages and passed away ‘surrounded by family’.