TRADE BODIES WELCOME END TO MOT EXTENSION

The news that the MOT extension will end on August 1st has been welcomed by the main aftermarket trade bodies. 

Stuart James, Chief Executive of the Independent Garage Association (IGA) said: “We thank the Government for listening to our views. The news will give clarity to garages and allow them to plan for the busy period ahead.

“This is a welcome retraction of a policy doubtless designed to provide relief to motorists. However, this additional month will allow at least one million unroadworthy cars to remain on the road for an additional six months, as well as the 1.6 million dangerous vehicles that have already had their MOT extended.

MOT EXTENSION TO END FROM AUGUST FIRST

“With road traffic increasing, people being encouraged to use their cars rather than public transport, and further lockdown measures easing on 4 July, we believe this additional month will leave a number of motorists with an accumulation of faults and repair costs when they are least able to afford them. Even though this scheme has only been in place for four months, it has been detrimental to the roadworthiness of many cars, taken away the bread and butter of the independent garage sector and left a great number of consumers confused.

“We will continue to work with Government departments and support independent garages to ensure that all safety measures are upheld, playing our part to prevent further coronavirus cases across the UK.”

READ: 12 MONTH MOT EXTENSION ANNOUNCED AS NORTHERN IRELAND MOT CHAOS CONTINUES

The IAAF has also welcomed the news, Wendy Williamson, Chief Executive, said: “The entire automotive aftermarket needs this news and it will have a positive effect on many businesses. As people begin to head back to work, the number of cars on the road will inevitably rise, with more people set to avoid public transport and rely instead on personal mobility.”

The IAAF is now urging the industry to encourage drivers who have previously made the decision to extend their MOT to bring their vehicle in as soon as possible.

Williamson added: “We’ve already been hearing from members who have experienced concerning issues first-hand, whereby customers have been driving around in vehicles that are a threat to the safety of the driver and the general public.

“Most importantly, this move will reduce the number of motorists driving unroadworthy vehicles and will benefit the aftermarket as more cars are brought in for essential testing, service and repairs.”

 

Published by GregWhitaker

Editor of CAT Magazine and an experienced motoring journalist

NEXUS ‘VIRTUAL DAYS’ EVENT ATTRACTS 1,000 VISITORS

Online event declared a success by the buying group

Read More

CV FACTOR JOINS IAAF

New CV member for industry federation

Read More

IAAF INDUSTRY BRIEFING THIS THURSDAY

Final call for the latest instalment of ‘bitesize’ state of the industry session

Read More

DVSA STATEMENT: MOT TESTING IN WALES

Welsh test centres can remain open, test frequency unaffected

Read More

IAAF’s BLEASDALE WARNS INDUSTRY OVER BLOCK EXEMPTION REVIEW

Board member warns against complacency, calling the legislation ‘central to ensuring a level playing field in the automotive aftermarket’

Read More

Go to comments

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *